Author Topic: DX comments/ EQSL  (Read 1666 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX comments/ EQSL
« on: January 07, 2013, 06:58:26 AM »
I prefer real qsl cards, that is the paper cards for my collection and over nearly six decades of ham radio I have collected a massive amount of QSL cards.

In my early days of collecting I used the steel file cabinets normally used for the old library card index files. Anyone remember those?  In the last few years I have managed to find two more of these units at auctions and in a business that had two of them in their basement. I managed to purchase all of them for a fraction of the original price.

Times have changed of course and enter the computer world and electronic qsling.

I was a little reluctant of course being an old timer, but there is a faster and more efficient way of sending out massive qsl requests then the old paper method.

In the course of my daily contacts one DX station about two years ago asked me if I qsled via EQSL or LOTW. I indicated I was a paper man only and if he wanted to exchange cards send one via the bureau. I did not need his card since I had worked the dx ops country many times and had  numerous qsl cards from his location.

I started to do some investigating on this sight called EQSL, I noticed I had quite a long list of stations requesting an E card. I just let it sit for some time and came back to the sight a few weeks later. Again, more requests, so what to do?

ARRL does not accept e qsl, of course their reason is they have a more secure web site and closely guarding their integrity, the result is a more complex and to me frustrating system. If you are a paper chaser, or an award chaser Eqsl offers just as many pieces of wall paper that ARRL does.

Now in days gone by most hams treasured the ARRL awards, namely WAS, DXCC, 5 Band WAS, 5 Band DXCC and the DX challenge. I am one of them, have them all hanging on my wall. Plus, honor roll plaques.

After trying LOTW and loading the software, I had hoped I had done the requirements correctly, I was a little confused by the complexity of the system. In three months time I heard nothing from ARRL, then an e mail telling me I had not submitted the  right item. I had ditched the software, and it was doubtful I would try this again.

My curiosity was aroused about Eqsl once again, so I checked the site and found I had 1300 requests on the site. Wow, there is a lot of work, but wait not really in regards to the system.

Oh well, I bit the bullet and registered, no real complex issues, follow the instructions, the program guides you and with in 15 minutes or less I was replying to the requests on file. Yes, it takes a while to sift through a back log of 1300 requests. However, you take them one at a time and I am about half way done.

In the process of all this I loaded LOTW again, again I was frustrated with passwords, or moving this item to where they wanted it for loading. Quite frankly, if I am frustrated with a program due to over complex issues I lose my patience with it and move on, or either ditch the program.

So be it for LOTW not a fan.

On EQSL you can use a card they have on the site, or you can pay a little extra, and it is modest in comparison to upload your own card. I started out with one design and then chose another. I also upgraded my membership, in the next few weeks I will up load my own card, the one I have used for years.

There are few requirements on E qsl one is you have an AG status, this is "Authenticity Guarantee" you can do it simply by scanning your license and uploading it to the site. Or, you can request a code number to be mailed to you for a modest fee.

I scanned my license, after I received an e mail from a station in Israel telling me he was a county hunter and my verification did not count, unless I applied for an AG. No problem, I thanked him and took care of the discrepency. I missed this somehow and it was a quick and painless correction.

With EQSL you have a "Display" feature that allows you to see the qsl card sent to you. You can print them for your files, or you can archive them on the site. Only one I am printing is 9K2MU for a qso on 40 meters. Nice catch and wish the op would respond with a paper card, but in two years he has not. However, there is his card on EQSL. Of course nothing like getting a new country confirmed and receiving  a check mark for forty, plus having credit for the DX challenge for ARRL's award.

Quite frankly, with the bureau, qsl managers, direct qsling, and now EQSL my bases are covered and hopefully I will get down to the bottom of the files on EQSL shortly .

You have choices, by all means exhibit courtesy to your fellow ham and if he/she sends you a request reply to it in some manner. To not reply is rude, self centered and selfish. Qsling is a long tradition of ham radio and for most it is a pleasure. Check out the system, you may find it to your liking and much simpler to use.

Personally, in the past years I often received 150 to 200 cards via the bureau, it is a time consuming task to fill these cards out by hand and then mail them to the out going bureau of the league. I have done this for many decades with out grumbling. It is a part of ham radio and the traditions, I will continue to do it if DX stations continue to send paper cards.

However, let me continue to work on this pile from EQSL, plus it is about the time of year a big stack of paper should arrive from the ARRL qsl bureau for the fourth district.   Off and running...