Author Topic: Worst ham rigs  (Read 2203 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
Worst ham rigs
« on: October 15, 2014, 06:01:11 AM »
Love to hear other comments about what the worst rig you ever had in your shack.

I have three to list and will note the reasons why.

BY far the worst radio I had was in the mid 60's I was swayed by the EICO 753, these rigs worked sometime, drifted several Khz and little to no sensitivity. I wound up threatening a law suit with EICO and demanded my money to be returned. They did and I never looked at Eico again. Missing parts in the kit, sorry excuse for a ham rig.

Number 2: The Ten Tech Paragon, what a piece of junk, more problems then a dog with fleas, power supply would not support the rig for 100 watts output. P.L.L would unlock during a contact. Filter caps in power supplies did not filter correctly causing AC on the cw signal.

Processor useless, troubles in the control board, this was just a few... AVOID.

Of course add the Omni 5, no cw offset, digital readouts would work sometimes, band switch noisy and failed to make contact, S meter worked sometimes, audio controls scratchy and worked sometime... AVOID.  Tried this rig on FD and ditched it, not a good rig at all that day.

Number 3. Icom 718 no AGC adjustment, one setting fast attack, fast decay, hard pumping action on ssb and CW annoying...