Author Topic: DX Awards.  (Read 1178 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX Awards.
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:18:52 AM »
For years I hesitated to apply for the CQ WPX award offered by CQ magazine, it was a lot of work to compile all the stations you have worked and check the prefix you have in your file. In my case this represented thousands of qsl cards dating back to 1962 when I first started chasing DX.

I started on the WPX paper work a few years ago and quickly came to the conclusion that it was far too much work to obtain the award. However, enter the computer and life was suddenly much easier, yet the over all amount of work remained, just easier with the computer.

I got ambitious for about two weeks, began checking my cards and entering them in my computer data base. Once completed I totaled over 1800 prefixes I had surpassed the initial 1000 by quite a few. So, now for the application and the list printed and sent to the awards manager  the award issued, or so I thought.

I sent off my application along with my money to cover the cost of the award, well here is what happened.

I received a letter in the mail from Steve Bolia .N8BJQ the awards manager on October 3, 2013 in his letter he stated my application had been received and processed. Since the award did not cover two meter simplex, or ssb they would not count a few prefixes I had submitted for that band. Ok, my number dropped to 1784 still a pretty good amount. I had not chased prefixes over the years but just the countries so this was a little new to me.

Steve's letter stated that it required about sixteen weeks for the award to be processed since it required an artist to draw it, well that was acceptable I suppose. What I got in the mail along with his letter were two endorsement stickers, that was back in October of 2013. In another month a year will have gone by and I still have not seen any award in the mail that artist must be taking their time producing anything.

Personally I just do not buy it and my recent e mail to Steve Boiia went unanswered, out of desperation I finally told him to just forget sending the paper award since it was obvious it was never going to arrive.

This to me is disappointing with CQ award program, but with the WPX as well, if you have any ideas about applying you may never see the award in your hands. I personally have scrapped my interest with a live and learn process.

I just recently sent 120 qsl cards to the ARRL for endorsement and I suspect I will not see them back until the first of the year. However, I have never had a problem with the league, they view my cards, send them back and we are all happy in the process. I receive my endorsements, or credit to my DX challenge or DXCC.

One point of praise, about a year ago I finally applied for the USA CA from CQ magazine, it too was a lot of work and really more then I wanted to do. I applied for 2500 counties and I should since I have over 2900 worked and confirmed get with it and apply for the next step and that is 3000.

I received the award within three weeks of my application and a nice one it is, but what is the problem with WPX? I have given up the pursuit. So before you spend a lot of time doing the paper work and get left holding the bag, forget about applying. Not worth the trouble, doubt if I will ever see the paper award, plus I have no further interest in endorsing it since the initial issue has never happened.

Off and on I have subscribed to CQ magazine, in fact I received three full years free after the purchase of World Radio magazine and I was a life member. CQ did not offer life memberships after their purchase, just three years free. Well, I let my subscription run out, I do not plan on renewing it due to the rotten service with WPX. Perhaps, they ignore all applicants that do not subscribe to their magazine, that was not stated. Oh, on the USA CA my subscription was expired, but it did not make any difference, so again what is the problem with the WPX?