Author Topic: DX Contest 11/26/12  (Read 1625 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX Contest 11/26/12
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »
DX contest ended for me about 4:30 local time or 2230Z, I began the morning around 4 am or 1000Z working 40 meters, with several contacts into Japan plus Korea and I frantically chased one Chinese contest stations for some time before they went QRT.

After sun up I moved to twenty until 1430Z during that early morning time there were numerous big signals from Europe, I left for a few hours and returned to twenty later on in the afternoon working many more stations from Europe. A few from Central America in the form of YN2CC and Ti8M. South America had some activity this year HK1NA, YW4D, FY5FY and several stations from Brazil. Nothing from the other countries of South America.

For few brief moments two stations from Africa made an appearance namely C50C and EL2A, both vanished quickly, after twenty meters started to fade in the afternoon, I ventured to 40 3 PM or 2000Z. I started to scan the band and could hear stations from Europe coming in quite well. This was unusual since 40 is not a day time DX band. In this process I found a new 40 meter country and pounced on YL3FT from Latvia was worked with ease.

It was reported that EL2A was heard on 40, but this station made a very brief appearance, this one also would have been a new 40 meter band country, but the station vanished never to be heard again during the contest.

Over all the results were pretty much the same as in years past, absent were most of the South American countries with the exception of the ones mentioned, lots of activity from the Caribbean, Europe, Japan, China, Korea and one station from India.

Some very brief operation from 9M2 again, a few contacts and gone for good,

Africa did have Maderia Island, it is considered to be Africa and an Italian group on Lampedusa Island and it is considered to be in the African zone. 7P surfaced briefly and then vanished. Nothing consistent at least on twenty meters, or 40.

However, after the contest an expedition hit the air in the form of an operation from Mauritania with an all band operation, check out their web site and listing on DXscape for all details. Big signal, surfacing have this one on three bands from past operations, but may give it a try on 30 meters.

Hope you had a great contest, worked some new ones, gained some operating time and sharpened your cw skills...