Author Topic: Bencher Skyhawk/ more comments  (Read 2361 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
Bencher Skyhawk/ more comments
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:28:06 PM »
This winter has been one of the most severe we have had in the South for many years, since I have erected the Skyhawk it has seen two ice storms with over an inch of ice cacked up on the boom and elements.

Here is what I have noticed.

As expected the SWR climbs with the ice, ten and 15 meters showed an SWR of 2.5. however with twenty meters the SWR held flat in the cw band, but rose very rapidly after 14.1. In my operation this really did not present a problem since I am for the most part a cw op.

Although the elements and boom sagged badly, they held together and once the weather thawed the elements and boom returned to their normal position. No damage could be detected and the SWR dropped to less them 1.2 over most of the three bands with the exception of the very highest area on ten meters. This of course was moving out of the bandpass and expected.

So, nothing has fallen off the antenna, plus it has seen high winds and ice storms in less then a year. Granted, some of you fellows may have weather that is severe and granted it may cause you some problems. We all take the chance with our beams and wire antennas in bad weather, but so far this one has held up fine.

I have had a chance to really use this antenna on ten meters with four elements at 75 feet, I have no problem working anything I can hear. For a good picture of this installation check my page on QRZ. I am using a picture of my tower and beams as a header picture.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:39:41 AM by k4lrx »