Author Topic: DX comments 4/3/13  (Read 1412 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX comments 4/3/13
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »
Couple of things to comment on, first I am sure you have noticed the terrible band conditions in the last few weeks, seems like they are much worse now then a few weeks ago.

On the comments many of you have worked 9K2MU on various bands, in the past this station had a qsl manager stateside, but apparently he has become a silent key. Therefore, the qsl chores are taken care of by the operator. For two years and two requests plus four dollars I have tried to obtain a paper card. Others have apparently tried also with no success. However, this op does qsl via eqsl and LOTW. Save your dollars by sending direct, apparently the dollars wind up in a fund somewhere and there is no effort to reply even if there are green stamps and S.A.S.E.

Another one that is a dud is the BY1RX operation under a guest op from Canada. The guest op stated the qsl manager was VO1AU, but what a disappointment that was after two years. I had contacted VO1AU by e mail to inquire if I was in the log and if I could expect a confirmation.

To date this is the only station I have worked in China on 40 meters, yet due to the indifferent attitude of the station managing the cards many of us will never receive confirmation.

The reply was I am too busy, it is of no importance to me if you receive a card blah blah. Of course my question was why did you agree to be a qsl manager if you cannot, or will not do the  job? Seems like there could have been a civil reply, but this was not to be.

7X4AN do not waste your dollars sending direct, go via his Spain address listed on QRZ, even that sometimes is marginal, but I managed to secure a card for a forty meter qso. It did take a couple of tries and a long wait.

This one is up to you, but personally unless you really need a card for band country confirmation let it ride and work someone else.

Two of the best qsl managers over the years are W3HNK and AI4U, both are prompt and do the paper work required to make those in need happy.

One more item of mention, I have been reporting on this site mostly with 40 meters, however I do work 20 on a regular basis, or did until I developed a driven element problem with my mono bander. I have plans to replace it shortly with a larger tri-bander and plan to be active again on 15 and 10. This project may not be completed until fall, or maybe sooner just depends on the help I can find.

One of my objectives is to make 300 countries on 40 and I am close to it, just need a few more countries and it is in the bag.

As to six meters, I also work that band when it is open, but have not heard much of anything in the last few months. There have been reports of CE2AWW quite active on the band, but only the southern part of the U.S. is having any contacts with him.

The offer of a free dinner to any one finding a station in Hawaii on six and I work them for my last state on six is still in effect. However, I have heard KH6 only once and the station was simplex, so covered up with callers that you could not tell who he was working. I have hopes, but the last year of dead silence on the band is not encouraging.

The quickest log verification I have seen in the last few weeks was XT2TT, within minutes of the contact you were verified in the log on the web site. WOWl  Really impressive. Rumor has it that VK9CZ is also confirming contacts rapidly via LOTW if you use it.

Keep your ears open and the dials turning, more to come in the next few days.