Author Topic: The Paper Chase  (Read 2284 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
The Paper Chase
« on: October 18, 2016, 03:18:53 AM »
The Paper Chase.

As most of you on this forum may have gathered I am an avid dx chaser plus an award hunter. Being a retired person I have most of the day to listen on the ham bands, or check DXscape to see what is going on in the DX world.

I keep my listings I received from ARRL regarding DXCC to check them to see if I have worked the country I am hearing on the bands I normally work. If it is needed, I jump in to action and make an attempt, this will add more band countries to my DX Challenge.

The paper chase continues, we make an effort to obtain verification of the contact, it might be an expedition so we want the paper card. We donate to their cause and cut some of the expenses with modest contributions for most of us just to obtain a paper card.

When the computer age entered some new ways of verification emerged, one was QRZ.com and the other EQSL. As I mentioned earlier, ARRL wanted to protect its turf, so it was declared others were of no value for the ARRL list of awards.

But, let’s think again, if we want paper proclamation to all who read, paper is available from both services, the same basic requirements for WAS or WAC and DXCC 100 countries on QRZ, plus endorsements are offered, or you can purchase their paper, or print you own.

EQSL offers plaques, although quite expensive for various achievements, one Japanese ham proudly displays about a dozen of these in his shack. Much more then I would care to invest, in fact I have qualified for many of the EQSL awards and QRZ, but have maintained my paper certificates with ARRL. However, the ARRL paper is no better then EQSL’s paper, or QRZ.com’s paper, they all state your achievements have your call on them and your name.

If we look at the overall picture, we can take our ARRL certs to the local diner, show them off and with a quarter get a cup of coffee. Same with the other two, no one really cares but you. Ever notice on DXscape some expedition will be in full operation, someone will work it and then state on DXscape their latest numbered conquest. No one cares, but you. I am not impressed with your numbers, if you want numbers I could certainly provide many, but really who cares?

We have tendencies to pat ourselves on the back in our quest for working DX, it has not generated a fan club for just us, I would not want it if it did. The choice is yours, ARRL, LOTW, EQSL, QRZ, Direct, or Bureau. What ever you wish, and whom ever you chose for your paper mill.

So, if you line the walls of your shack with only certificates from the league, or you choose EQSL, or QRZ, or use LOTW and have no paper cards at all, the choice is yours. What ever works for you, some may not want a thing to do with the league, others have different ideas and  pursue them, again the choice is yours and yours alone.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:16:40 AM by k4lrx »