Author Topic: DX Report 8/26/16  (Read 881 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX Report 8/26/16
« on: August 26, 2016, 06:29:11 AM »
Looks like the planned expedition by three Japanese ops to A5 is a bust. The scheduled dates were 8/22 to /8/27 so far nothing has been heard, or spotted on any band.

In checking my log I have only one ssb contact with A5 and that was back in 1980. The most dependable station during that time was A51PN, his name was Pardan and most of the time he was heard on 20 SSB on Saturday afternoon and early evening. I got a qsl card from him, Pardan worked for the Bhutan post office and could process IRC's back when they were used very quickly.

If memory serves me correctly I had his card within two weeks of the contact. I have never worked this entity on CW or have I worked since 1980. About a year, or so after my qso with A51PN all amateur operations were shut down by the government. There have been a few attempts, but little to no results. Last operation only the East Coast had any copy, further South nothing was heard, not even a faint whisper.

When this recent attempt was announced I told you to not hold your breath, well so far nothing has happened. My guess is bureaucracy at its finest and red tape to even obtain a license. We can hope, but so far nothing much since 1980. 

I see also there is an attempt to operate from XX9 formerly CR9, again not holding my breath. About the same time frame as A51PN, CR9AH was quite active from a lighthouse about 170 feet tall. We do have his qsl, but have heard little from XX9 since that time. Hopefully, something will develop, but past operations do not indicate it will happen. But, again there is hope, let's see what the next few days brings us?