Author Topic: DX comments 3/1/13  (Read 1506 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX comments 3/1/13
« on: March 01, 2013, 05:47:53 AM »
The Dxscape web site is an excellent tool for information about DX stations you have the times, frequencies, and station call letters in front of you. All that is required to work them is tune your rig to the frequency of the dx station, jump in the pile up and off you go. If necessary to split frequency, make sure you are set before calling.

I have posted information on this site for years and I keep my reports to the minimum, for instance if it is a dx expedition I may state 599 in Ky. Up 2. Or if the dx is working simplex I will state how I am reading this station. An example is 599 in Ky. This does provide useful information for one thing other Kentucky stations know the dx station is audible, plus surrounding states also can assume they will be able to hear the station spotted.

One of the best stations for listing dx is W3LPL I think this man must be up 24/7 in fact I follow on his coat tails a lot if I am looking for a rare one. Sometimes, I list the dx before him, but not often his postings are simple and to the point, yet informative.

However, I do wish some users of the site would not self-spot, I see this now and then and perhaps it may be an ego trip on the part of the poster, or they simply do not know this is considered poor practice.

Another worthless post appears to be common with a couple of stations from the North East posting a non existent operation of QZ6TZR, showing this supposed operator jumping around the band and with the notations of O snap. For some time this nonsense surfaced and it was indeed an annoyance and worthless in information to dx chasers on the web site I am not sure who started it, but wish it would vanish.

Another area and that is the vile language from a well-known Canadian operator operating on 14,313 and the antics of the “Zoo” of ham radio in full overload mode. Would you believe that some one posts the call letters of the well-known Canadian? My question is WHY? It just gives them more attention, my radio does not tune to 14.313 it I am not posting anything these characters do, say, or anything that goes on near, or on that frequency.

Lastly, one post although well meaning I question the reason, now it is fine to list a DX station calling CQ but why all the (((((      )))))) seems a little silly to take up space in this manner. That seems to be now past and hope it stays gone.

State side stations are spotted sometimes in the Sweepstakes, the North American Party, and various state qsl parties and that is fine. Not all of us are major dxers.

In this capacity useful information is given and those wishing a new section, county, Grid Square, state can find it on the frequency listed.

Use the site, gain information and if you post a dx station post it wisely information that is useful to everyone.