Author Topic: DXCC comment 11/12/14  (Read 999 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DXCC comment 11/12/14
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:51:29 AM »
I was transferring my paper logs to the qrz.com format and noticed I had made a notation in my 1994/95 log of having worked the last one on the DXCC list. At that time it was VP8SGP operating from South Georgia Island. Needless to say there was jubilation in my household and my XYL wondered about my elation and excitement.

Since that time there have been some additions to the DXCC lists and I have worked all of the newer ones with the exception of P5. This is without a doubt the most needed country in the world by thousands of amateur’s worldwide.

Now just in case you are wondering the DPRK did not enter the DXCC list until May 14,1995, of so my claim in working them all at the first week of 1995 is verified. The real estate is not the problem in years past I have qsl cards from the northern area of Korea, but since the current regime has taken over there has been little to nothing in the form of ham activity.

In the history of this entity there was one brief operation and it was in hours by Marty Laine, OH2BH/P5. I missed this one entirely. The other one was a Russian ham who operated only on one frequency and band, that was 15. His operation was 100 watts to a simple dipole apparently on a rooftop of some building or apartment complex. In any event his signal was never heard in this part of the country, at best he was heard on the West Coast at 5X5.

This op was ordered to leave the country in a short amount of time and as far as I know nothing has ever surfaced again. With the current government it is unlikely that an outsider will ever gain permission to operate, or any citizen of the DPRK.

With this in mind and the fact this entity has remained dormant for years and is unlikely to ever be activated, I favor dropping it off the list. If at some time later there is ever any activity for a sustained effort, then add a clause to accept past contacts from 1995 till say 2000, if any activity surfaces enter the date and five years from the operation that will count,

I just do not see any hope, or possibility of any group gaining permission to operate, and of course why? In a country where you can be executed for watching soap operas, thanks, but no thanks, what chance would you think a group of radio amateurs would have in the DPRK?

I favor dropping the entity off the DXCC list, then no one will have a reason to attempt to go there, risk being imprisoned, or shot. Granted, past operations from uninhabited islands calling them entities does question our purpose, but at least on Tromelin you will not be shot for a minor infraction. I favor dropping it for now and let’s all concentrate on those we can work and add to our lists. 

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:18:29 PM by k4lrx »