Author Topic: DX Report 5/24/14  (Read 1043 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX Report 5/24/14
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:33:28 AM »
3W1T 21.011 up 1525Z.  Nice signal from Vietnam, Japanese operator.  8)

B1C 21.021 0740Z This is the contest station and active in various things such as WPX contest and DX worldwide contest.

BY2AA 21.047 04:15Z.

5W1SA 28.029 0220Z.

WPX CW contest going on this weekend, lots of good prefixes to work, plus you may add some new ones to your DXCC with quick contacts.

A word on WPX for years I hesitated to do all the paper work required for the WPX award for years, during times of poor band conditions and of course the computer age I started to total all my prefixes. Thing is I would up with over 1800 on the list, after applying and doing all this work I found out that some of my prefixes worked on two meters do not count. To me, some have worked two meter SSB and I did many years ago. Not sure why two meters is  not counted, perhaps this is only known to those who sponsor the award, namely CQ magazine.

Ok, so I applied for the award via the awards manager of CQ. I got my verification and two stickers, but no actual award. I have contacted the awards manager and he tells me an artist draws up these awards. Of course my question is when?  In nearly six months I have not seen a thing other then my two stickers.

On the other side of the coin, my USA CA was issued long ago,award was in my mailbox within ten days of application. For those of you that do not have the USA CA it is very large and excellent art work. So, what is the problem with WPX?   

BTW, it does not take long for the DXCC certificates to be issued, in fact my original issue in 1962 was crumbling from age, I asked for a replacement and received it from ARRL with in a couple of weeks.

One more thing to comment on, qsls from China are not setting fast records for returns, I have worked several stations in China on 20/15/10 yet the direct return rate leaves much to be desired. A scant few have made returns, one card was out there for three years before anything showed up and that was via a qsl manager in Canada. Oh well, I rant a little about this when you send those green stamps and nothing shows up ever in your mail box.

Ok, now go work some contest, maybe some new ones and let's hope for the best. Oh, little action from the VK9 expedition, or cruise, only a few contacts made so far, maybe bad weather, rough seas, not sure, but we shall see what develops... CU in the Pile ups!