Author Topic: DX Report 12/19/13  (Read 1113 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX Report 12/19/13
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:07:34 AM »
Band conditions have dropped in last couple of weeks, there have been several special event stations appearing with calls as long as your arm. For the most part I never report them on my daily spots. It seems the practice in Europe is to have something very long and this only adds to the confusion. For the most part what ever it is that requires these lengthy calls most of us on this side of the Atlantic really do not care. Let's face it. Nice to work that is if you can get the long call straight, but that is it.

Enough commentary let's see what I found with normal calls today.

JD1BHA only showing up on 40 so far and the signal is barely above the noise level, band is poor in the mornings and nothing much making it. If you can hear this station 7.012 1000Z. On for short time and then gone.

9L1A 7.007 0600Z good signal works a lot of stations.

VP8BTU this is not South Shetland it is Falkland, there has not been an operation from SSI for many years, this is considered to be the "Worst place on Earth" or so states the qsl card I received from the VP8SSI expedition a few years ago.

VP8BTU has been making appearances on 14.195 0500Z still a good catch since activity from VP8 is sparse.

HL2DC 21.018 0030Z good signal on often for short periods.

D2EB 28.028 2200Z ten is not showing much again, nice peak for a while then a lull in activity. This past weekend the ARRL ten meter contest, nothing much spotted on the DX side. Lots of stations stateside calling CQ contest, but not much else.

Hopefully, some of the planned expeditions will get off the ground later on during this month and into 2014.

Oh, one more item, there was spotted a station with a /CE9 designation if one checks the country listings Chile uses this prefix for their South Pole base. However, one spot indicated this was Chile, well who knows for sure? I do have one ancient card from CE9AF on the base of the South Pole manned by Chile. Been a long time since that qso. best is work it first, ask questions later.

It may be the extreme tip of Chile, only a few questions to the op will answer this question. The tip of Chile extends out in the Drake Passage and just a few hundred miles from the big ice cube. In any event work them, you gain the rare CE9 prefix, Chile, or the South Pole. You have nothing to lose.