Author Topic: Additional comments THP HL 2.5 amp  (Read 2647 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
Additional comments THP HL 2.5 amp
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:39:06 AM »
In my first comments on this amp I was impressed with it and the best just keeps getting better. I had mentioned in the posted column that I did not make use of the automatic band switching feature since I used the amp only on twenty.

Well, with the replacement of the mono bander antenna to a tri-band antenna I opted to try the auto feature for changing bands.

The surprises just keep coming, so I grabbed the cable for this feature and hooked it up between my FT5K and the THP Man this is slick, you can band hop around and not worry about tuning a thing.

The band changes show up in the status window, the manual bandswitch control can be in any position does not matter once you switch to auto band. NO, it does not move in automatic.

This is what I have noticed, you can make 1500 watts on 20 easily with about 50 watts of drive, same thing with 15, although it does vary a little based on what part of the band you are working. Actually, any thing less then 1500 watts, say a kw on cw does not make any difference for breaking pile ups, or dx chasing.

On ten meters the amp requires about 75 watts to drive it to the legal limit, but then again if ten is open high power is really not needed that much. I have been leaving the drive alone and satisfied with what power output I get on twenty, or 15. Now with ten and 50 watts of drive you will see about 700 watts output on ten, not a problem. I have yet to fail to work what I wanted to using that power output.

The main impression is instant band hopping at the legal limit. Only thing I wish they would have done is extra ports for antennas, if one has other antennas for the lower bands well you have to disconnect one and connect the other.

The other day I was showing this amp to a fellow ham, I showed him how the instant band change and no tune up worked. I also showed him how the amp is smart by hitting six meters on my FT 5k. The amp stated "Out of Range" on the status window, it went in to standby. Once I went back to the 14/22/10 meter bands it was back on line. Now, just a test, I knew my antennas were not resonant on 12 meters, so I tried to bring up the amp on 12. It read hi SWR and went into standby.

Like I have mentioned you can still be an idiot and blow the finals by doing something stupid, but the reports I have gotten on this amp is treat it well and you will be rewarded with years of dependable service. That goes from this op as well.

If you hear me on the air, 20/15/10 you will hear this amp in action, two seconds after turn on it is ready for full power. The two second delay is the system check. Sure beats the long three minute warm up of the Alpha 86 I have for forty. Much quieter also.