Author Topic: DX Comments 8/30/13  (Read 1119 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX Comments 8/30/13
« on: August 30, 2013, 07:17:59 AM »
DX operations come and go on the bands that are what makes chasing DX interesting, we have such a diversity of active countries and we can pick and choose.

Personally, I have centered on working new band countries in the last few years, I find it a continuing challenge to work other bands and add new countries to my DX challenge. I have often commented on expeditions, good ones and bad ones and we have had our really good ones and some well we have to wonder about the operators.

Over the years some of the best operations were from 3B9, VP8, XT  HK0 and the list could go on for a long time. In other operations, well, one op was playing Roulette with the callers stateside, spinning the dial and if it landed on someone they returned to them, a really bad practice. This was the Annobon Island expedition and although working them on cw was easy phone was pure chaos with the game they played.

Another expedition a few years ago stated they were listening from 14.200 to 14.350 the chaos created was really bad and the complaints from others were unbelievable.

A few years back there was an operation from rare Glorioso Island, it seems we had a few French ops on the island, but the operation was all over the band. By the time they were on the Dxscape spotted, they moved to another frequency. It was really frustrating, but we finally caught them way up the band on twenty meters.

I am not sure what the logic was with the operation, but that rare pile of rocks was one entity at the time I needed.   Prior to this I had worked a German operation, but the card was not accepted at ARRL. The problem was no documentation to actually prove they were on the island. The policy with those rare French possessions are if you do not work for the French government, you do not get on the island. My guess is the German operation was clandestine; they did not have permission to land, or operate. But, gee whiz who is going to enforce anything on a deserted island out in the Indian Ocean?

One qsl card I have submitted several times to the league for credit, I am a little dismayed but it was for a contact made in 1961. The operator was Py7LJ and he operated from Fernando De Norhona for months. In fact his operation was listed in the old How’s DX in qst. It is plainly printed on the card his location, yet the league continues to refuse this card stating it is Brazil.   The excuse is this is a fixed station, makes even less sense with that ridiculous reply.

I am wondering if any one else ever worked PY7LJ back in 61 on 15 meters? Did you receive credit for it with DXCC?

As of the last few weeks it appears we have some improved conditions on the bands, we have some good days and then bad ones. I have searched around on 15 and ten during the evening hours and found some interesting stations. I was very surprised to find ten meters open and worked a few VK stations in the last couple of weeks.

So how is EQSL working out for me?  Well, I get an average of about ten to twelve requests a month. I keep my mail box cleared, little sense in letting 1000 or more requests sit in the box and do nothing. Really senseless to have an instant qsl service, then let several thousand requests back up in the in box and you do nothing to clear them. What is the point?  The bureau is faster then some of the hams on Eqsl, but I do reply fast to any requests, but I rarely request a card via these services. I still prefer paper cards and value them much more.

BTW if anyone sent a  qsl request to VO1AU for an operation out of China, save your money, three years ago I made the contact. Asked about my card via VO1AU and got the run around. Nothing ever turned up via bureau, or from this so called qsl manager. Doubt if anything will.

Same thing with 9K2MU he does respond with EQSL and with LOTW, but with paper cards and green stamps, do not hold your breath. Frustrating, EQSL is worthless for DXCC but I do have 9K2MU confirmed with an E card via E qsl for a 40 meter contact.

Since I do not use LOTW and it is not likely I will, it appears I may have to work another 9k on 40 meters.   

Regardless of all the problems of obtaining cards, there are some great hams and expeditions to be worked and nice qsl cards to add to your collection. Go for it and have some fun.