Author Topic: OQRS QSL system  (Read 1149 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
OQRS QSL system
« on: October 26, 2016, 09:57:44 AM »
On the DX forum there were a couple of questions if the OQRS system works and indeed do you receive qsl cards from it?

The answer is yes, this is a good system and so far I have used numerous times and have never failed to have my qsl card in the mail. In fact, it is more reliable then direct in many cases.

If you have never used it, first go to clublog, enter in the station you worked, then your call, if you are in the log it will tell you what mode and bands, but does not give the times. This is left to you when applying.

Next step if you are in the log is to request QSL this is where most expeditions divide their modes, so be careful entering data, you do not want to enter it in the CW column when it was a phone contact, or wrong band, it will be rejected.

Ok, enter in the selected mode, fill in the dates, times according to your log, if your log and OQRS agree, you will get a green check mark, if they do not, it is red. If you have a green check, then check the box for qsl, this will normally take you to some type of payment, I use Paypal. Normally, the minimum charge is $5.00 for the card, you can donate more if you choose.

Execute the payment option and then wait for confirmation, you are done. Now,let's evaluate the whole procedure, say you donated $5.00 to the cause. Consider a few things, expeditions do not need, or want cards, the objective for them is to give out contacts and lots of them. If you had to send a direct card, it would cost you about a $1.20 to get it out of the country, plus a couple of green stamps in the envelope, some countries need $3.00.. In reality the OQRS saves money, you do not have to send your card, you do not have to trust countries in other post offices to be honest and deliver the mail Consider this, in many countries if they see USA stamps, or call letters the mail will be stolen for its content. You may have to send your card twice, in this case you have lost double the amount.

Still, some will never reply OQRS works and works well. So, also consider that by giving a slight donation you have helped cut some of the expenses of a major DX expedition. The crew needs food, shelter, tents, transportation, there is no magic carpet
that takes care of the travel, or expenses. All we have to do is sit in the confines of our home, try and work them, cut through the QRM. Still, some grumble about having a little expense to confirm the contact. In this scenario an expedition of major proportions does not revolve around one person, or op. There are many world wide who may need the entity that is active.

The next time you work a major expedition use the Clublog and then OQRS, of course, if you are not in the log, you will not get by the first steps. Stop, recheck your data. Right now, we just applied via OQRS for confirmation of T31, that card should arrive sometime soon. It works, do not be afraid to use it, I have not seen any examples of fraud, or not receiving a card, go for it and good hunting.