Author Topic: DX Comments 9/18/16  (Read 796 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX Comments 9/18/16
« on: September 18, 2016, 02:33:07 AM »
I received my INDEXA special news letter on the operation of the most recent attempt to activate Heard Island. I had hoped for a contact on 15 and ten, but his was not to be, the propagation Gods were not smiling on us all during that time.

The article describes the harsh conditions on Heard,plus the adventures of 14 ops attempting to give a rare one out to all radio amateurs.

There were some critics who spotted the operation on DXScape and referred to it as "Unheard Island" this of course were people who were frustrated at poor conditions and what appeared as little operating.

I was lucky with Heard Island in the past, worked and confirmed on 20 meter SSB and also 75 meters, catching this one early in the morning hours, no one else calling. I have qsl cards for both contacts.

We do have to agree, indeed it was Unheard Island at this location, we did not try for a 20 meter contact since we had it confirmed on CW and SSB with past operations.

In my reports and comments, I do call them as I heard, worked, or did not hear any operation, we base our commentary on the fact if we are hearing other stations close to the expedition, then we have propagation and we have to wonder why at times there is no activity? With our poor bands these days, well, we are lucky to work anything off of North America, in fact my number of daily contacts have dropped dramatically.

As you noticed in past reports, we heard nothing of A5A they seemed to only be on 30 or 17 and that was it, this entity is prime for a major week long 24/7 expedition, but it has not happened.

My listings of future operations well, they may happen, they may not, nothing written in stone, We have an operation from D68 in the works for this month, if it happens great, if not, then we move on to others Let see what happens, hope for the best and keep the rigs hot and ready.