Author Topic: DX comments 1/21/15  (Read 939 times)

k4lrx

• Global Moderator
DX comments 1/21/15
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:19 AM »
DX Comments:

With all the fanfare and information flying around about EP6T I was expecting a much better operation then what has emerged. I had visions of filling in a cw contact and a contact on the ten and fifteen meter bands. So far, this has not happened, we have only heard this operation once and that was 2 AM on 14.033 working Europe.

It is quite frustrating to have this type of operation playing cat and mouse games, in fact looking at the reports on DX scape they do not seem to put together a dozen contacts in a row. Long gaps between any contact, scattered at best and lots of people calling.

With five days left on their visit unless something occurs that will redeem this attempt I will not rate this one as a good operation. I do hope the KP1 expedition is run much better and more contacts result.

I know that propagation has not been the best, but I have heard Europe, Africa and even a few stations from down under, so we feel that the propagation is not to blame fully.

The bands come alive during poor conditions and a DX contest, I am sure the band would liven up if indeed the operation would operate.

I was fortunate working Iran during the days of better relations, I captured a Japanese op at his embassy using the call EP2TY and have several qsl cards on 20 meter SSB. I of course would have liked to have worked EP6T for a cw contact, but as time goes on the idea is fading in the background.

Right now, the proposed dates for KP1 are the  February, 01 and for two weeks, the dates have changed again, so we will just watch things and see what happens? BTW C5X has been active in all this bad propagation and has a great signal, we managed to work them on ten and fifteen for needed band countries.

Perhaps a later attempt might be made with Iran during times of good propagation, but as I mentioned this is a middle East country and a dangerous place in my opinion. It may be years before we see anything emerge in form of a serious and prolonged operation.

For now, I am about to write this one off, forget it, it will not happen for us this time, lots of other things to work, so to me this one is a bust!   Time to fold up the tent and head for home!